43nd Annual Fishermen’s Festival April 22-24, 2016
Help celebrate the Maine fishing season with trap hauling, codfish relay races, fish fry, lobster crate racing and much, much more! Even though it seems like this festival is really reserved for Mainers themselves, the tourist love it!! One of those is the annual Fishermen’s Festival in Boothbay Harbor, the 41th of which is held this year from April 22- April 24, 2016. The Fishermen’s Festival celebrates working fishermen and their heritage. There’s no glitz, no glamour, although you could buy a cup of coffee or a tee-shirt from seniors at Boothbay Region High School raising money for their graduation party. Most people attending live in Boothbay or one of the surrounding towns.
At 1:30 Sunday afternoon the people of Boothbay Harbor gathered, as they do every year, at the Fishermen’s Memorial on the east side of the harbor to honor area fisherman who have been lost at sea. This is not done casually. The names of the 229 men whose names are engraved on the Memorial are read out loud, and a bell tolls for each of them. The first name is that of Captain John Murray, 27, who died May 17, 1798. Many of the names are from the same families: fathers, sons, brothers, fishing together. The worst single disaster was in October of 1851, when the S.G. Matthews was lost, taking with it thirteen men, 8 of them under the age of 21. Fishermen begin their profession young. Martin Lewis was only eleven when he was lost at sea in 1845.
The festival starts Friday night with a haddock dinner, followed by the Shrimp Princess Pageant, in which a dozen young ladies between the ages of 9 and 12 demonstrated their talents. After the pageant those so inclined could adjourn to a local restaurant where Jehovah and the Holy Mackerels playing until 1 a.m.
Saturday there is food, beginning at 6 a.m. with a pancake breakfast at the Lions Club, and moving on to a fish fry and a lobster bake that basically went on all day, and ending with a church supper at the Congregational Church (2 seating’s, one at 5 and one at 6 p.m.). It is usually cold, so layer, layer, layer!!
8 a.m. starts the Codfish Relay Races — the streets are full of excitement! The Codfish Relay Races were followed by the Bait Shoveling Race, the Head-to-Head Lobster Trap Hauling Competition, and my favorite, the Lobster Crate Race - in which participants must run along the tops of lobster crates strung between two town docks is particularly daring. A fall means a dunking in 40 degree water. There is also Dory Bailing Competitions, a bubble gum blowing contest, Burnt Island Lighthouse Tour (Contact The First Bank for more information 207-633-5149 for tickets to Burnt Island Lighthouse Tour please). Also enjoy the Miss Shrimp Princess Pageant and Oyster Shucking. All spectator events take place on the waterfront in Boothbay Harbor.
Saturday is the fun day, Sunday is really the heart of the festival!!
April 22-24, 2016
Fri–Sun – ‘Fisherman's Festival’ Exhibition and Sale of visual arts featuring 35 artists from the Boothbay peninsula. Three days of activities and fun!
Artists’ Pot Buoy Decorating Contest – Contact The First for your buoy and more information 207-633-5149.
Friday 7:00 p.m. – Miss Shrimp Princess Pageant – at the Elementary School. Adults $5.00, $2.00 children under 12
Saturday 6:00 a.m.– LionsClub Pancake Breakfast.
Saturday 7:30 a.m.–Coffee and Doughnuts on sale by Project Graduation – at the Waterfront.
Saturday 8:00 a.m.–Codfish Relay Race – at theWaterfront parking lot. FMI Kathleen Pearce 687–6677.
Saturday 8:00 a.m.–12 p.m.–Events for the Children – at Fisherman's Wharf parking lot. Face painting, bouncy house and more.
Small Fry Cold Fish Relay Race immediately following, at the Elementary School FMI Kathleen Pearce
Saturday 8:15 a.m.– Bait Shoveling Race – FMI Ryan Casey 207-380-3166.
Saturday 8:45 a.m.– Trap Hauling Competition – FMI Mark Carter 207-633-5762.
Saturday 9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
–Chalk Art on Boothbay House Hill. Saturday 9:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. –Arts and Crafts Show – FMI Vicki Huskins 207-633-2404.
Saturday 9:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. –Blood Pressure Clinic – Courtesy BBR Ambulance at the Fire Dept.,
11 Howard Street.
Saturday 9:45 a.m. – Lobster Crate Running – At the Town docks. FMI Brandy Pottle 207-380-5169.
Saturday 11:15 a.m.– Tug of War Competition – FMI Sarah Barter 207-380-7722 or Ashlee Lowery 207-633-3913.
Saturday approx. 11:30 a.m.– Small Fry Tug of War Competition – FMI Kathleen Pearce 207-687-6677.
Sunday 1:30 p.m.– Memorial Service– In honor of area fishermen lost at sea.
Sunday 12:00 p.m.– Burnt Island Lighthouse Tour – Scenic cruise to Burnt Island. Spend an hour touring the island and buildings.
On return, the Novelty will be watching the Blessing of the Fleet Service. Sunday 2:15 p.m.– Blessing of the Fleet – Blessing of the commercial fishing fleet.
Lobster Crate Races!!
- $50 off three night minimum - Book NOW 207 633 4300
- HOT Deal -Today- Fill the Inn sale -Same Day Booking $165.00
- 52th Annual Antique Auto Days Show at Boothbay Railway Village July 16 and 17, 2016
- Boothbay Opera House - Concerts, Music and Shows Tickets 207.633.5159
- Antiquing in Maine
- Shipyard Cup and Hodgdon Boat 200th Anniversary Rendezvous Celebration
- Maine Botanical Garden Tickets
- A Room with a View for Two
- Bluegrass Festival at Thomas Point Beach - September 2016
- Claw Down September 2016
- Boothbay Charities Classic Golf Tournament September 2016
- Leaves and Lobsters in Boothbay Harbor - Harbour Towne Inn B&B
- Lighthouse Tours
- Pumpkinfest and Regatta October 2016 Call today for $50. off room rate - two night minimum
- Lobster and Clam Bake on Cabbage Island
- Championship 18 hole Golf Course Package at Boothbay Harbor Country Club
- Free night - Book 7 nights and receive the 7th night FREE at our Boothbay Harbor Bed and Breakfast
- Columbus Day Weekend Special - HALF price on your third night
- Pemaquid Oyster Festival - September 2016 Sunday
- Oktoberfest in Maine September 2016- Topsham Fairgrounds
- Best Fall Color Drives near Boothbay Harbor - Maine FREE Night!!
- Blueberry Festivals - Enjoy Maine
- Maine Festivals and Fairs
- Gardens Aglow - Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay, Maine November 21, 2016 - December 31, 2016
- $50 Gift Certificate for Dinner in May
- Boothbay Opera House Events
- Gift Certificates
- Red Cloak Haunted History Tour
- Windjammer Days in lovely Boothbay Harbor, Maine - June 26 -July 2, 2016 Harbour Towne Inn
- Harbor Fest in Boothbay Harbor September 2nd-11th 2016- Boothbay Harbor Fest!!
- Art Walk Maine - First Fridays in Boothbay Harbor
- Maine Photography Show April 9-29
- Show of the Month Club at the OPERA House
- AmTrack 50% off for seniors