Blue Angels come back to Maine!!!
Here come the Blues!
The United States Navy Blue Angels return with their adrenaline – rushing performance to Maine.
The world renowned U.S. Navy Blue Angels will appear at our Air Show. Pushing their F/A-18 Hornets to the limit, the Blues will amaze you with their speed, precision and daring maneuvers.
The team is stationed at Forrest Sherman Field, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida, during the show season. However, the squadron spends January through March training pilots and new team members at Naval Air Facility El Centro, California.
U.S. Marine CorpsC-130 "Fat Albert"
One airplane in the Blue Angels fleet gets its own billing, and it isn’t one of the supersonic Hornet jets. It’s “Fat Albert”, a U.S. Marine Corps C-130 Hercules airlifter. Fat Albert is the team’s support plane, but it flies its own solo performance at air shows, demonstrating the surprising nimbleness of the four-turboprop transport.
BRUNSWICK, Maine — In preparation for their appearance at the 2015 Great State of Maine Air Show, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels will fly an F/A-18 Hornet jet to Brunswick on Thursday morning.
Blue Angel No. 7, Capt. Jeff Juss of Durango, Colorado, and Blue Angel No. 8, Corrie Mayes of Marstons Mills, Massachusetts, will pass over Brunswick Executive Airport and land at about 7:25 a.m., according to a release from air show officials.
Kuss and Mayes will then hold a news conference before meeting with air show officials about the September 2015 event.
Tickets for the 2015 air show — scheduled for Sept. 5-6, 2015 — will go on sale at 8 a.m. Dec. 12, and will be available online at www.GreatStateofMaineAirShow.us.
The air show carries on a tradition that started when Brunswick was home to a Navy air base. For nearly four decades, annual free air shows sometimes drew crowds of more than 100,000.
After the base closed in 2011, civilian redevelopers worked with the Blue Angels and other aerobatics groups to continue hosting the show at the airport and neighboring properties formerly owned by the Navy.
The 2011 show, which took place just after the base closure and included ticket fees for the first time because it was no longer sponsored by the Navy, featured the Blue Angels and drew 25,000 fans.
The following year, attendance reportedly increased to more than 40,000 as the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds claimed the main event spotlight.
The Blue Angels were scheduled to perform in Brunswick in September 2013, but sweeping federal budget cuts known as sequestration forced the high-profile aerial acrobatics team to cancel its appearance, and the directors of the Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority ultimately canceled the event entirely.
Since 2011, air show organizers have made it a point to distribute a portion of the admission proceeds to local charities.
BDN staff reporter Seth Koenig contributed to this report.
- $50 off three night minimum - Book NOW 207 633 4300
- HOT Deal -Today- Fill the Inn sale -Same Day Booking $165.00
- 52th Annual Antique Auto Days Show at Boothbay Railway Village July 16 and 17, 2016
- Boothbay Opera House - Concerts, Music and Shows Tickets 207.633.5159
- Antiquing in Maine
- Shipyard Cup and Hodgdon Boat 200th Anniversary Rendezvous Celebration
- Maine Botanical Garden Tickets
- A Room with a View for Two
- Bluegrass Festival at Thomas Point Beach - September 2016
- Claw Down September 2016
- Boothbay Charities Classic Golf Tournament September 2016
- Leaves and Lobsters in Boothbay Harbor - Harbour Towne Inn B&B
- Lighthouse Tours
- Pumpkinfest and Regatta October 2016 Call today for $50. off room rate - two night minimum
- Lobster and Clam Bake on Cabbage Island
- Championship 18 hole Golf Course Package at Boothbay Harbor Country Club
- Free night - Book 7 nights and receive the 7th night FREE at our Boothbay Harbor Bed and Breakfast
- Columbus Day Weekend Special - HALF price on your third night
- Pemaquid Oyster Festival - September 2016 Sunday
- Oktoberfest in Maine September 2016- Topsham Fairgrounds
- Best Fall Color Drives near Boothbay Harbor - Maine FREE Night!!
- Blueberry Festivals - Enjoy Maine
- Maine Festivals and Fairs
- Gardens Aglow - Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay, Maine November 21, 2016 - December 31, 2016
- $50 Gift Certificate for Dinner in May
- Boothbay Opera House Events
- Gift Certificates
- Red Cloak Haunted History Tour
- Windjammer Days in lovely Boothbay Harbor, Maine - June 26 -July 2, 2016 Harbour Towne Inn
- Harbor Fest in Boothbay Harbor September 2nd-11th 2016- Boothbay Harbor Fest!!
- Art Walk Maine - First Fridays in Boothbay Harbor
- Maine Photography Show April 9-29
- Show of the Month Club at the OPERA House
- AmTrack 50% off for seniors